Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. was founded on January 13, 1913 by twenty-two collegiate women at Howard University. These students wanted to use their collective strength to promote academic excellence and to provide assistance to persons in need. The first public act performed by the Delta Founders involved their participation in the Women’s Suffrage March in Washington D.C., March 1913. Delta Sigma Theta was incorporated in 1930.
In the Spring of 1976, a group of young ladies, all of whom were interested in the Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, came together. The young ladies worked diligently in sending correspondence to Delta Sigma Theta National Headquarters of their interest. Fundraisers were organized from time to time in order to raise money for a future pledge program. The number of young ladies who worked with the founders of the local chapter fluctuated often. Sometimes the number reached as high as 13 and as low as 8. In February of 1978, not quite two years later, recognition was received from Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated through the Regional Director of the Southern Region, Soror Yvonne Kennedy. On the fourth day of March in the year of our Lord, nineteen hundred seventy-eight at 12:29 p.m., the nine founders of the Chapter were initiated and awarded the Xi Alpha Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated, located at the Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta, GA.